It is a dream that many share. They dream of the day when they hit the lottery. They think about what they would do with the money they win. It does not matter what the chances of winning the National Lottery are. As long as there is a chance, it is okay to dream. What are the Odds of Winning a National Lottery?
It is okay to dream about winning the lottery, but what are the real chances that the dream will turn into a reality. In South Africa, the National Lottery requires a player to choose 6 numbers ranging from 1 to 49. The drawing will also pick 6 numbers from the same range.
What are the Odds of Winning
There is also a bonus number that is picked. If the numbers that redrawn match the ones that a player has chosen, they will win at least a share of the big jackpot. All of the people that match the 6 numbers in any one drawing will share a portion of the jackpot. Because the drawing involves a series of numbers it is easy to calculate the chances of picking the right set of numbers. A player will win prizes for matching less than the 6 main numbers of the drawing as well. The odds of winning any prize are:
- Match all 6 numbers – 1 in 13,983,816
- Match 5 numbers plus the bonus number – 1 in 2,330,636
- Match 5 numbers– 1 in 55,492
- Match 4 numbers plus the bonus number – 1 in 44,393
- Match 4 numbers – 1 in 1,033
- Match 3 numbers plus the bonus number – 1 in 436
- Match 3 numbers – 1 in 57
The drawing is random and the numbers that are dawn can be any combination, but there are some things that a person can do that can increase the chances of winning.
Why People Play Lottery?
If the odds are so bad, why do so many people spend money on lottery tickets? That’s a genuine question. For most, it appears to be the entertainment factor of taking a chance and indulging the fantasy of getting rich quickly.
So should you spend money on lottery tickets? There are, after all, people who win big money. In 2007, two people split a $390 million Mega Millions jackpot, the world’s largest jackpot ever.
However, the odds against that happening to you are astronomical…literally. According to figures from the National Weather Service, you’re over 20,000 times more likely to be struck by lightning at some point in your life than you are to win the Mega Millions jackpot.
An alternative to spending money on lottery tickets is investing that money. For example, if you would normally spend $150 each year on lottery tickets, consider putting that money instead in an investment that yields an 8% return. Over the course of 40 years, that yearly investment could be worth more than $38,000. You may consider that a lottery win in itself!
Tips to Consider
- Pick a combination of even and odd numbers. A drawing that has all even numbers or all odd numbers is extremely rare.
- Pick a combination of high and low numbers. This is the same as picking even and odd numbers.
- Add up your numbers. The total sum of your numbers should fall in the range of 115 and 185. The winning combinations fall into this range more than 70% of the time.
- Pick losing numbers – When a number has not been drawn for four straight times it is going to appear in the next drawing more than half of the time.
- Never pick a combination that has already one. The chances of the same number winning twice are astronomical.
- Never choose a string of numbers or a set of numbers that falls into a very small range. Choosing all numbers in the 20’s will not be very successful.
- Play online – Playing online makes it easier to buy the tickets and can allow you to buy more tickets faster. The more tickets you buy, the more you increase your chance of winning.
These are tips that can help you choose numbers that have a better chance of being chosen, but they do not increase the odds of winning that much. They take advantage e of the statistical history of the lottery and what has been proven in the past. Because the National Lottery Drawing is random, the past does not actually matter.
There is one key that must be followed if you want to win the National Lottery. You do have to buy a ticket. Without that, you have no chance to win.