Betting on sports from your mobile gives more excitement of a close sporting event on while on the go. Seeing teams or individual working hard to win can bring a crowd to their feet. Sporting events are also one of the best things to bet on. Wagering on sports has been going on for as long as people have been competing. Legal gambling on sports is available around the world.
In the past if you want to bet on a sporting event, you would have to travel to the location of the event such as a horse racing track, or you would have to find a bookie that would take your bet illegally. The internet has changed that. There are now sports books that allow people to wager on sporting events around the world. There are over 500 different bookmakers that accept customers from South Africa. A person can go to these websites, choose the event they want to place a bet on and make their bet. They do have to set up an account with the site and fund the account, but the process is fairly simple. The ability to bet on sports online has increased the amount of money involved significantly.
The next step for sports betting was to find a way for people to use their mobile devices to place their bets on sports. Sports betting sites are happy to oblige and have made it fairly simple to use a mobile device to place sports bets.
Facts about Sports betting
Sports betting is becoming more and more popular in South Africa and is 100% legal. South Africans placing sportsbets online can rest assured that they are not engaging in any illegal activity.
Licensed horse racing bookmakers are also allowed to offer sports bets, which means that sports and horse race betting industries are mostly tied together. Most South Africans prefer to bet on televised matches of the national teams competing in cricket, rugby, and soccer.
There are quite a number of online sportsbooks that offer South Africans the chance to bet on local matches as well as international sporting events. Although some South Africans still prefer to place their sports bets either in person or over the telephone, online/mobile sports betting is definitely growing since these sites offer great odds, spread betting as well as the innovative mobile betting which allows you to take your bets from your mobile or smart phone.
Sports you can bet on
- Rugby: Rugby is South Africa’s favourite sport and it’s very exciting to place bets on the international series games like the Ruby Championship as well as local Currie Cup. The most wagers are usually placed on matches against arch rivals: Australia and New Zealand and recently Argentina.
- Cricket: It’s hard to think of placing a cricket bet without recalling the Hansie Cronje betting scandal. Luckily that’s all in the past now and it’s possible to place a bet without worrying about match fixing. Cricket betting is much more popular in India and Pakistan, and these games are always interesting to bet on.
- Soccer: Soccer bets are were hot during the 2010 Soccer world cup that was held in South Africa. Recently, the most wagers are usually placed on the English Premiership and local PSL.
Betting on sports from your mobile
There are a few steps involved in betting on sports from your mobile
- Find a sports book that you want to use – There are plenty of different sports books to consider. When looking for the right sports book, consider the location that you are in with your mobile device. There are some jurisdictions that do not allow gambling from any device that is located in that jurisdiction. Sites will be licensed to operate in different regions and this will play a role in which one you choose. You also need to consider the forms of payment they accept, the currencies they deal with and the security of the site.
- Set up an account at the Sports Book – This usually involves providing fairly basic information and setting up a user name and password. This only take a few minutes
- Fund the account – This is usually done through electronic payment methods. They can be instantly credited to the account.
- Choose a sporting event that you want to be on – There will be a list of events that can be bet on and you can pick the one you like.
- Place the bet – Place the amount you want to bet on the event and hope you are right.
- Confirm your bet – This last step will confirm the bet.
- Collect your winnings – Any money that is won will be credited to your account. You can request the money from the sports book. This process usually takes a few days to complete.
Tips to Follow
Be it the game of soccer or football, horse races, golf tennis, or cricket, there are hundreds of sports to bet upon. You need to but be careful in your journey to bet on various sports because like pokies and other casino games of chance your chances to lose is more than wins. Therefore there are some tips and best advice for players by experts to use when joining any online bookie for sports.
1. Do not chase your losses
Like any other casino game experts do suggest that you must be disciplined enough not to lose control when you have a couple of losing bets. Do not seek to win your money back on the next available game. No one can win all the time. Wait for the right game, where you feel you know enough to get back on the winning path. Set out your bets for a day and accept the results. Remember there is always another day
2. Manage your bankroll
This tip is also widely popular when playing slots at online casinos. The same tip applies to sports betting too. Pick an amount you can afford to lose and have this as your bankroll. You certainly don’t plan to lose but it is always a possibility. Now set your bet amount, generally around 5 percent of your total bankroll. For example, if your bank is $1000, your standard bet could be $50. As your bank increases or decreases, adjust your 5 percent bet accordingly. You could over time double your bankroll to $2000, meaning your 5 percent bet becomes $100. Keep track of where you are up to. Only rarely should you stray from your standard bet; possibly if you think the bookies have it wrong when framing a particular market.
3. Learn to walk away
Often seen at sports bookies, players fret and fume if they lose a race or lose a game. A wise man once told us “money lost, nothing lost. Confidence lost, everything lost.’’ It can be hard to keep faith in this theory when your funds are running dry, but you must play the long game in gambling. You will have losing days but ultimately your success or failure will largely depend on how you respond to these days. You need to be patient and learn to walk away if you are losing to save what you have in your pocket.
4. Don’t be carried away with accumulators
Multiplying the odds on half a dozen “dead certs’’ and coming up with juicy odds, putting on your stake and expecting to cruise to easy dollars. Only for the first contender to suffer a shock loss and then watching helplessly as the next five legs come up. You need to be more patient than this. Sure, take multiple selections but also make sure you have a collect on the individual results you fancy.
5. Seek out value
This sounds simple but that is not always the case. This is where judgment becomes crucial. Consider an upcoming match and rate the chances of each team. With experience, you will be able to express this information in odds form. Then check how the bookmakers and sportsbooks have rated the teams and look for the disparities. Don’t be afraid to back your judgment but also consider that those setting the odds for the sportsbooks are usually experienced operators, though many would argue many bookies simply feed off what others have put up. You need to learn which bookies are first up with the odds to get the first crack at any perceived value.
6. Stick to what you know
Avoid the temptation to, for example, gamble on an NHL match just because it is the next thing on the TV at your favourite bar. If you don’t know much about a sport, leave it alone. Sure, it feels good to have a live bet to add an edge to your viewing but that is not how successful sports punters operate. They have second-to-none knowledge of the product and know all the last-minute details of a game. Don’t give up whatever edge you may have in one sport by squandering funds on another.
7. Have multiple sports betting accounts
This is a non-negotiable for the serious sports bettor. Why take $2.10 when $2.15 is available elsewhere? These seem like trifling differences but when you are working towards winning, these small percentages can make all the difference, particularly as your bankroll and turnover grow. Also, you will be able to take advantage of more promotional offers if you are signed up at all the best bookies. And to spread your funds around if you are in danger of being limited at a particular betting operator.
8. Learn to deal with a cold streak
While the tip to stay patient and thinking more about the long-term status of your bankroll, there are times when you feel as though the great Bernie Lootz (William H. Macy from The Cooler) is sitting on your shoulder. If you hit a rough streak, consider taking a break. Dust off the golf clubs or tennis racquet or dig out the darts. Some time away can clear your mind for the task at hand: beating the bookies.
9. Don’t neglect the X factors
In professional sports, little is left to chance. Players prepare rigorously, game plans are employed and discarded and the opposition is studied in great detail. Form, head-to-head records and so on are great references for the sports gambler, but sometimes it’s the little things that make all the difference, particularly when you are betting at the line. Is a favourite son of the team playing or coaching a milestone match? Is a team regaining or losing players from or to injury? Are the teams derby rivals? Has one team been roasted in the media in the lead-up to a game? Do they have scores to settle? Any little snippet could prove invaluable.
10. Formulate your own method
Keep a close watch on your results over time and play to your strengths. If you are consistently winning on the English Premier League even though you feel you know more about the NBA, you need to run with it for a while. It may be that your judgement is less clouded on a sport in which you are not as emotionally invested. This brings us to another point. If you can’t be detached and clinical when assessing games involving your favourite team or teams, maybe you should leave those games out of your betting mix. When it comes to winning on sports betting, it’s head over heart every time.
Betting on sports is very popular. Being able to play them on your mobile device makes it easy to do. The large number of sports books that support the mobile devices makes it simple to find the right one, find your favorite sporting event and place your bet.